[pct-l] cold water food experiment

----- Original Message -----
From: "Robert Ellinwood" <rellinwood@worldnet.att.net>
To: <pct-l@mailman.backcountry.net>
Sent: Saturday, February 11, 2006 5:18 PM
Subject: [pct-l] cold water food experiment

"Predictably, at 10 min the mashed potatoes and stovetop stuffing were just
fine for eating and probably were almost immediately."

For me also, spuds were ready immediately with just a few seconds stirring,
.

"At 20 minutes the ramen noodles were fine for eating and may well have been
at the 15 min mark, but could definitely not be included in the 10 min
group."

What brand noodles?  My experience with Maruchan brand was that by the time
the noodles were downable, they had an unappealing, pasty texture.  Never
found a time for al dente texture.

"At 30 min the couscous and the minute rice were "doable" but gritty and not
enjoyable,"

Your report on the rice is curious.  My experience with minute rice done
with cold water was that texture was indistinguishable from doing it with
hot water, using the package recipe ratio of rice to water.  Good in about
4~5 minutes with room temperature water.  From that, I got curious about
brown rice.  Better nutritionally, but not available in minute variety.  So,
cooked some then dehydrated it.  It also plumped up to normal cooked texture
in about 5 minutes.  Ditto with cracked wheat ceral cooked then dehydrated.
More no/low sugar options!

"So, FWIW, if I find myself stuck in a tent in a storm on the PCT this
summer, any deviation from a normal hot dinner will probably involve mashed
potatoes or ramen fixed with cold water."
Dr Bob

Being either lazy or impatient (or both), sans cooking for me!  Certainly at
least in So Cal.

Thanks for conducting and posting your wonderful interviews.

geezer