From: Mtnned@aol.com [mailto:Mtnned@aol.com]
Sent: Wednesday, February 08, 2006 12:29 AM
To: dsaufley@sprynet.com
Cc: pct-l@mailman.backcountry.net
Subject: Re: [pct-l] Re: PCT-Prep

Hi, Donna!

In essence, what the thru-hikers are doing over snow in the High Sierra is
nontechnical mountaineering.  Navigation over snow, above timberline, in
high, rugged terrain, over ice, suncups, and crappy mush, post-holing for
lengths at a time, getting soaked and sunburnt, scrambling around tree wells
while packs are being snagged by branches and legs cut by rocks, fording
waist deep torrents of creeks, sleeping in already wet clothing and bags,
starting every day with frozen water and boots, all the while trying to
follow the right canyon up and over yet another 11,000 foot pass is
mountaineering.

The Clinic you're interested in is PCT-Prep, our four-day shakedown cruise
for the thrus. As I was just telling "Ironlegs," the areas taught or
emphasized are those you'll need to know and practice for your trip,
including, and most importantly, ice axe use and self arrest techniques as
they apply to the thru hiker and avalanche awareness, snow condition
recognition, and avalanche avoidance.  Lots more practical, hands-on skills
are shown and supervised so you'll be more prepared before setting out from
home and more confident once on the snow.

Much of this I learned from a similar program I attended before my hike.
That one weekend was a heck of a test and contributed to many schedule and
equipment changes before I left mid-March of 1974.  I was in snow from
mid-April on the Kern Plateau, on and off all the way to mid-August at
Rainier N.P.. And that was just the Crest, the Divide was another story.

Let us know when you'd like to go.  Your schedule is tighter than ours as
your start date is coming up. The more people, the less expensive, as these
are nonprofit clinics benefiting each current class of thru hikers. Group of
eight max. Under that we'll put the group together and confirm the date.
Early March to KO is best but not necessary.

Yes, there is a list, but you already have it!  This is your snow shakedown
cruise.  Bring what you will be carrying when you're on the snow.  This is
your opportunity to test it and you (under supervision in case you don't
know how to use it or it doesn't work out for you) under the conditions
you'll have when you're up there.  Prior to our meeting at the trailhead,
we'll have plenty of phone conversations to get you ready!

Any further questions, RSVP.

Mtnned