[pct-l] Re: PCT-Prep

Hi, Donna!

In essence, what the thru-hikers are doing over snow in the High Sierra is
nontechnical mountaineering.  Navigation over snow, above timberline, in  high,
rugged terrain, over ice, suncups, and crappy mush, post-holing for  lengths
at a time, getting soaked and sunburnt, scrambling around tree wells  while
packs are being snagged by branches and legs cut by rocks, fording waist  deep
torrents of creeks, sleeping in already wet clothing and bags, starting  every
day with frozen water and boots, all the while trying to follow the right
canyon up and over yet another 11,000 foot pass is mountaineering.

The Clinic you're interested in is PCT-Prep, our four-day shakedown cruise
for the thrus. As I was just telling "Ironlegs," the areas taught or emphasized
 are those you'll need to know and practice for your trip, including, and
most  importantly, ice axe use and self arrest techniques as they apply to the
thru  hiker and avalanche awareness, snow condition recognition, and avalanche
avoidance.  Lots more practical, hands-on skills are shown and supervised  so
you'll be more prepared before setting out from home and more confident once
on the snow.

Much of this I learned from a similar program I attended before my  hike.
That one weekend was a heck of a test and contributed to many  schedule and
equipment changes before I left mid-March of 1974.  I was in  snow from mid-April
on the Kern Plateau, on and off all the way to mid-August at  Rainier N.P..
And that was just the Crest, the Divide was another story.

Let us know when you'd like to go.  Your schedule is tighter  than ours as
your start date is coming up. The more people, the less  expensive, as these are
nonprofit clinics benefiting each current class of thru  hikers. Group of
eight max. Under that we'll put the group together and confirm  the date.  Early
March to KO is best but not necessary.

Yes, there is a list, but you already have it!  This is your snow  shakedown
cruise.  Bring what you will be carrying when you're on the  snow.  This is
your opportunity to test it and you (under supervision in  case you don't know
how to use it or it doesn't work out for you) under the  conditions you'll have
when you're up there.  Prior to our meeting at the  trailhead, we'll have
plenty of phone conversations to get you ready!

Any further questions, RSVP.

Mtnned