[pct-l] Class of 05 thru VS Seciton attitude

This "keeping record" sort of thing reminded me of some attitudes that I met on the trail the past two years when I was doing Wash or OR.  On both section hikes I was going against the grain and was running into many THRU hikers.  I ran into MANY friendly people and I looked and smelled like a thru hiker.  I can remember a few who were FRIENDLY to a point but as soon as I let them know I was "JUST a SECTION HIKER" there face would change and they would just keep on hiking on - basically coppping me an attitude.  Some would try to convinvce me to become one of "them" and be a thru hiker - I would have to try to convince them why I was HMOH.   Trust me MANY were not this WAY.  I can remember one couple that I met near Crater Lake in 05 that pulled a reverse --- when I said I was "just a Section hiker" ....... he was so impressed and even engaged with me more.  Truly emphasizing the HYOH mentality with out me needing to go through the litany of why I HMOH.  Pretty COOL attitude instead
 of the hierarchy of I am better than you attitude that I get sometimes.  OR the "hikerism" against section hikers, or people who do not complete, or people who are NOT ultra lite, or people who do carry an ice axe, or people who don't sleep under a tarp tent .......... "hikerism" is used when someone does not conform .  This runs against the grain of BEING FREE and escaping FROM THE WORLD that I strive for when I hike my hike.

  SB

M A <raeba@lycos.com> wrote:
  I agree too. I, personally, think that the keeping records is not likely to work...in the long run. Again (to me) it kind of is taking away from the raw beauty of the the hiking - almost adding a commercial edge to it. I think the HYOH over=shadows it, if one holds to HYOH philosophy. But everyone is entitled to their own ideas and viewpoints. I know of others who don't want anything to do with the 'organized' hype, cliques, and what some believe is organization.

The numbers may be going up, in part, due to seeking them (i.e. keeping closer tabs). Don't know...don't really care. I don't mean to sound harsh, but I just feel that some of this stuff just makes some sort of commercial edge on the PCT (pardon the redundancy). This breeds people who try to position themselves as 'somebody' important or special with regard to the PCT -- AND NOT ONE PERSON IS OVER THE OTHER.

This year's newbie is just as significant as any other to me. Do I have close friends, yes, but I just don't like the ranking and merit badge mentality. Believe me, this is not coming from someone who feels jealous by any stretch - that would be impossible with my philosophy and respect for each person's priveledge and standing on the trail. I admire all who will take to the trail in a respectful manner, and who challenge their minds and bodies........

Just my thoughts. You may certainly disagree and it won't me move a bit. I'm sure some of you will, but that's life. The trail is mine and yours. Anyone can build a club or association around it and do what they please (within the law).

Ciao