[pct-l] PCTA TrailFest Hike

Switchblade,

This sounds just like the place that, in '77, I had just crossed the tracks
and was heading up the canyon when, from around the bend, I heard first and
then turned to see two railroad workers in the classic railroad garb on a push -
pull cart coming up the tracks "hoooo - haaaa,  hoooo - haaaaa, hooo -
haaaaaa"  . . . when out of my right ear I heard "ssssszzzzzlllll,  ssssszzzzzlllll"
and snapped my head around to see a curled and ready to strike rattlesnake
under the next step that my huge boot was about to come down on!!!!!  In
mid-stride, in one of those weird superman instanteous events, the adrenalin screamed
thru my veins and I lept high into the air beyond the snake!  The snake,
looking up at this huge, ugly, heavy being about to smash it into the next life,
skidadled away in another burst of snake adrenalin!

There is a great quote in "The Pacific Crest Trail - Escape to the
Wilderness" by Ann and Myron Sutton, 1975 in which they put it to you, that should you
be fortunate enough to be walking along the San Andreas when it happens to
move, then you will be one of the fortunate few who get to experience this great
geologic phenomenom in the midst of nature where few natural hazards exist to
harm you.

Greg

In a message dated 2/6/2006 7:45:06 AM Pacific Standard Time, Hiker97@aol.com