[pct-l] the Rim Trail

sly writes -

<< I'd say all "purists" are obsessed, especially the ones that follow the
official trail instead of the Eagle Creek Trail or the Crater Lake Rim
Trail.  Is the latter considered official "PCT hiker trail" now? >>

if I remember correctly, the trail along the rim was considered official
trail for only a season or two (including 1998). During that time, there
were actually two official routes  - the equestrian and hiker routes. There
was  oppositon from people who argued that there should only be one PCT, and
all of it should be open and passable for horses. So the rim PCT quickly
reverted back to an alternate route, and the PCT markers were mostly
removed. This is also why the PCT no longer splits into two routes near
ramona falls (by mount hood), and why paradise park is not considered the
PCT.

wc