[pct-l] Slightly tongue-in-cheek, some lesser hazards.

In a message dated 1/26/2006 12:09:40 AM Eastern Standard Time,
dsaufley@sprynet.com writes:

> Tree hazards are one big reason why they close the trail/forest after
> fires.
> They have to make sure that the burned trees and branches aren't going to
> injure people, and they fell those that threaten before opening the trail
> again.

Probably the scariest time I've ever had hiking is through the Teton
Wilderness and Yosemite NP burn from the late 80's or 90's.  Walking along in silence
trees were crackling loudly then crashing to the ground in a thud all around
the trail.  The worst was near "parting of the waters" a semi-sacred spot on
the Divide.  Due to a storm apparent in the higher elevations, we decided to
camp in the area and were very lucky to make it  out alive.  It was that
close.... (no shitting! : )

Sly