From: eric lee [mailto:thebeave7@hotmail.com]
Sent: Wednesday, January 25, 2006 10:06 PM
To: jerrygoller@backpackgeartest.org; pct-l@mailman.backcountry.net
Subject: RE: [pct-l] Ice Axe Standards

Jerry don't second guess yourself, ULA does admit this ax is designed only
for "non-technical use". I did send a few emails back and forth with the
designer of the Helix, and he informed me that the ax isn't designed for
technical mountaineering, but specifically for through hikers. I agree, in
that I would not trust my life to this tool if I were to slip on an icey
slope near any high sierra pass.
http://www.ula-equipment.com/helix.htm
As a realatively new mountaineer(3 full winters under my belt) I've seen too
many people hurt in the past few years to take unnecessary chances on snow.
Just my opinion.
Eric

>From: "Jerry Goller" <jerrygoller@backpackgeartest.org>
>To: <pct-l@mailman.backcountry.net>
>Subject: RE: [pct-l] Ice Axe Standards
>Date: Wed, 25 Jan 2006 21:55:16 -0700
>
>Oh, wait.....I just figured it out. *BackpackingLight.com*, a general
>retailer and manufacturer of their own line of lightweight gear, is
>putting the disclaimer on it, not ULA, the actual Helix manufacturer.
>
>Oh, well....that's different.
>
>BTW, I'm not a serious mountaineer nor do I plan to be one. I'll use an
>ice axe, or Whippet, or Snowscopic or whatever, just for self arrest,
>but not anything technical.
>
>I'd never use the Helix as a mountaineering ice axe though. But then, I
>doubt I'd use anything else, either....  ;o)
>
>Jerry
>

>http://www.BackpackGearTest.org : the most comprehensive interactive
>gear reviews and tests on the planet.

FOR B- OR T-RATED ICE TOOLS.