[pct-l] PCT Open trail Directory

Yes, Chance and I have discussed and contributed to each other's projects
for some time. I see a few things that should be updated on the wiki, and a
few things I need to copy to my water report.

My site came about from a discussion among the ADZPCTKO organizers about how
to get the water talk info to the hikers that don't do to the ADZ. After
much discussion, I just did it. My goal has always been to move it to a more
appropriate venue, like the PCTA website, and they agreed to host it, but
I've just never had time to work with them on how it would work. The biggest
problem I have now is that the site is not updated when I'm hiking. As it is
now, only I can update it as it's on the free space I get from my ISP.
Unfortunately, I don't usually get out for more than ten days, so the site
stays pretty current.

My goal is to provide only the STATUS of the water sources, not how to find
them, or much else (although I did post some snow conditions last year). I
don't want to replicate what is already in the books. Locations in some
cases are a little vague, as the guidebook already gives that info, although
I have added more when I receive info that clarifies directions to a spring,
etc.

Chance's wiki works a little different. He is attempting to build a
reference from original sources, rather than deriving the info from other
texts. I think his site works very well for those things that do not change
daily, like new water holes, good places to stay, tips from past hikers,
etc. - sort of an addendum to the guides.

The big difference in philosophies is how the sites are updated. Chance
relies on others to edit the wiki themselves. A few have, but most edits are
by Chance. I solicit water reports actively, and then post that info myself.
Many people will send an email or post to the PCT-L about water and trail
conditions (I even received a postcard from Kennedy Meadows last year from
Mtn. Goat!). I also prowl the online trail journals for water info during
the peak season. However, IMO, most don't want to or don't have the time to
go further and update the wiki. Maybe that will change. Meanwhile, I think
both sites can complement each other well.

AsABat
www.4jeffrey.net/pctwater