[pct-l] PCT Open trail Directory

  Hi Steve

  AsABat and I came out with a desire to deal with the water location / flow condition problem independent of each other and at the same time.

  However we have different views on how to do it.

  AsABat
  Wants to control the posting of information to help reduce reporting confusion
  Currently wants to limit the reporting range to the Southern California area which is considered to be the most critical area
  And wants to report on this area and those conditions over about a six month period.

  I want to
  Experiment with a community reporting system where anyone who is interested can post in real time
  Open such a system to other not copyrighted data sets
  Report on the entire length of the trail
  Focus on the narrow time frame when northbound long distance hikers are passing through
  And show year to year changes so that we can see what I think will be very dependable water flows for that time frame

  Initially, AsABat and I experimented with combining his data and mine. In his 2004 list I contributed information to his and he contributed to mine. Ultimately our systems are not all that compatible. In my 2006 thru hike I will be up dating the water conditions to the PCT Open Trail Directory and experimenting with the reporting of what I call trail confusion points.

  Maybe this sounds like a contradiction, but I fully support AsABats very excellent water report and will add to it if there is anything new to say.

  Chance

Steve Peterson <steve_peterson@sbcglobal.net> wrote: It isn't clear to me why it's useful to duplicate the effort that goes into

http://www.4jeffrey.net/pctwater

--Steve