[pct-l] Trail Maintainers, WAS PCT Screen Shots

Datto wrote:

>1) I could easily see the bridge where the PCTA constructed that new
>metal leanto for hiker shade
>in southern California. The leanto is apparently too new to show up
>on the satelite photo or else
it's under that clump of trees just to the upper right of the bridge <SNIP>

	NEAT!  Actually, Boy Scout Troop 544 of Palmdale built that
lean-to at Cottonwood Bridge as a service project in June 2004.  The
PCTA and thruhikers have a lot of helpful friends like that in the
Antelope Valley. Besides the Scouts we also have the High Desert
Runners, Vern Biehl and his horse people, forest Youth Offender Camps
(maybe they don't count as volunteers) and a few unknown local
freelancers.

	While on the topic:
	The Liebre Mountain segment (CA Sec E) was personally adopted
by Pete Fish in 1993, and the primary task there has always been
clearing brush.  Pete as many of you know is the PCTA's Southern CA
Regional Trail Coordinator, and he and other PCTA volunteers, (some
in their 70's and one I know that's now 80) have been working from
Bear CG south toward Sawmill CG.  2006 might just be the year they
finish brushing this segment, some parts of which haven't been cut
since 1994.  If you've hiked there in recent years you may remember
some portions that were almost closed in by brush. There the PCT is
an alley thru tough, thorny chapparal.  In this scenic stretch around
mile 500, the PCT is the ONLY FOOTTRAIL remaining - other area hiking
trails have been neglected and really no longer exist.  I can see why
- they didn't have organized volunteers committed to keeping them
open.

	Anyway, I wanted to tell everyone that for April, Section E
Chief Dave Fleischman and Pete Fish are planning a brushing project
in that segment. With a large enough crew it might be possible to
finish, so if you live in Southern CA they could use your help!
They'd bring the gear, tools and groceries and would spend the week
camping at Bear CG. If you are interested in helping, if it's for the
week, a weekend or even just a day during the week, it's a great way
to give back to the trail you love, and I'd encourage all who can
attend to get out and contribute. Info on that project is below. If
you are generally interested in helping maintain the PCT, Pete has a
calendar developing with about 20 projects in Southern CA this year!
Send him a note at the link below if you'd like to get on his mailing
list.

THANKS
Kevin Corcoran

2570.  April 14 - 23. Fri //Sun.  Liebre Mtn.  Angeles NF/ Santa
Clara & Mojave Rivers RD.  Maps E 8 & 9.  Brushing and spot tread
work.  Car camp at primitive Bear CG.  Meet Apr 14 at entrance to
Sawmill CG at 2 pm, and we will convoy on to Bear Camp.  Contact Dave
Fleischman (310) 915-9539
<mailto:owldave@hotmail.com>owldave@hotmail.com or Pete Fish
805-658-6540
<mailto:pickaxepete@sbcglobal.net>pickaxepete@sbcglobal.net  .  In
Antelope Valley, turn south off Hwy 138 onto Three Points Road.  At
Three Points check mileage.  Bear left on Pine Canyon Rd. and drive
4.9 miles SE to top of saddle, turn sharp right onto dirt road
(7N23).   Follow 2.7 mi to saddle junction with PCT, turn right and
follow 7N23 for 3.5 miles to Sawmill CG.  Stay on 7N23.  From Sawmill
CG to the gate is 1.3 mi.  From the gate to Bear Camp is 2.5 mi.