[pct-l] winter JMT travel

Garret,

Regarding snowshoeing...

My experiences snowshoeing the Crest in '74 and skiing the Divide in '80
taught me many things, but keep in mind the following is based on liking the
camp rather than the race.  Thus I travel with a heavy pack, keep my miles  to
the minimum my schedule will allow, camp as early as possible and heartily
enjoy a hot meal, and resupply on-trail.

Spring High Sierra snow is ice in the morning and mashed potatoes in the
afternoon. This means the jarring shock and ouch of post-holing begins after
lunch, more or less. Since it is easier to move your feet when they are
unencumbered with either snowshoes or skis, I often choose to carry these items  over
the morning ice.  Once the snow begins to feel weak, the shoes or skis  go on.
 Basic.

Snowshoes or skis?  Shoes are slow and get heavy with snow and must be
lifted (not good).  But they are maneuverable around rocks and trees and  tight
turns (very good).  Skis slide for the flats, have metal edges for  the ice, and
can be skinned for the climbs (good), but they are long, can be  difficult to
turn, and sometimes a pain to carry.

My decision?  As an avid downhiller since 5, skis are just an  extension of
my feet.  When I lock in I feel alive and free and ready to  explore.  Second
nature for me.  Shoes made sense but were weird and  exhausting.  When I shoe I
choose to get going very early and make some  distance before the snow gets
soft while I can yet move my feet easily. Mostly I  ski.  But keep in mind the
big pack, meaning the downhills aren't the  glorious S-turns pictured in the
magazines - too dangerous.  For the most  part I glissade straight down the
steep passes after letting the pack and  contents find their own way down (one
for the benefits of the Sierra Passes is  they're so wide open with good
run-outs, usually a lake or meadow to slide  into).

My backcountry motto is this: Safety First!  Consider before stepping  on.
You'll live longer to do more things and have more fun times in the  mountains
this way.  Wild and crazy may be exhilarating but be your  last.  Selah.

These days I have chosen another way, the sled!

My last JMT trip I pulled a 7-foot Kifaru sled with runners, brakes, and a
rudder for those nasty traverses.  Now I can pull all the comforts of home,
not be top-heavy on skis, and still go anywhere I want (may have to portage it
here or there but I have great camps!).  Remember, don't travel alone,  carry
beacons and know how to use them, shovels, and axes or ski poles with axe
grips (one hot item).  Early summer thru hikers on the Crest need not carry  all
this.  These suggestions, here, are for the early spring folks.

  If I were screaming through the spring Sierras with the easy  intention of
going straight on to Canada, I wouldn't bring any of these  things.  Travel
early and light with an axe and instep crampons, cya.

Does this help?

More next time...

Mtnned