[pct-l] Re: Don't Cook Foods In Plastic

HI John,

Yeah my prof said that Lexan was one of the worst. Actually what she did was
explain that the different numbers on teh bottoms of containers really gave
more information.  I mean they really are just recycling numbers but I guess
they tell us how much PVC is in a material.  From what I remember #1 was
bad, #2 was much much better,  I can;t remember the other numbers but - I
think it was like 2,5  and 7 were ok - but don;t quote me on that.  I just
remembe th milk bottles were kosher. But still leached some...

The point was we were in an environmental studies class and she looked
around the table and all the hippie kids with the lexan bottles and told
them about this thing.  The next day none of those kids had those bottles..

About the rubbermaid things... Yeah I think those all pretty much sucked.
>From what I remeber, the label "microwave safe" only applies to it's melting
point.  It has nothing to do with plastic leaching - it is just a selling
point.

Thanks for the update on aluminum.  Good thing that is true becuase I was
using alumium cans when I was younger...

Also teflon coated pans act like the plastics, especially because they are
heated up...

I stick to the titanium and the stainless steel myself for hot stuff... Even
microwave dinners I pop out of the plastic before microwaving...

Mouse