[pct-l] Don't cook foods in plastic!

Hi folks,

I just graduated form college and in an environmental class there I learned
about toxic materials and what not...   I learned alot about plastic
leaching..

It is when water sits in plasitc too long, like in plastic soda bottles and
stuff [luckily for me (big milk drinker) the milk bottles aren't as bad,
becuase they don;t have PVC in them]  - anyway any bottles based on PVC
leach nasty cancer causing materials into your food...

This is the worst when you warm plastic up.  Freezing it slows down the
process.  So when you put hot water in your Nalgene bottles and drink it -
that is really bad for you because nalgene bottles are PVC heavy...  JUst
letting water sit in a nalgene bottle is bad enough... I perosnally don;t
use nalgene bottles...

THis goes for micro-waving things also.  The microwaves and the heat cause
plastic to leach PVC's into the food or liquid.  The government knows about
this and it is why in most states you can;t have PVC pipes used as incomming
water supply - only outgoing.

There are specific recycle #'s that are better and worse for this
leaching... Milk jugs are teh best, I think that is a #2  - the worst is all
those soda bottles and bottles of water you get at the store. and All those
plastic bags and plastic zip lock containers - all that cheap plastic crap.

Another example is that new car smell - plastic does an off gassing thing in
the airt and that is waht you are smelling in a new car... but after it
matures and stops off-gasing, it is safer to be in.

So, I'm just giving all yall the warning becuase I know backpacking is heavy
into plastic... I to used platy bags, but I never warmed stuff up on
purpose...

And and about aluminum hiking pots, they leach alumnium into food- and
aluminum has be connected to alzheimers (spelling) disease.  So just use the
titanium - I haven;t heard about anything bad about that.  I heard the US
army won;t even allow its soliders to use aluminum pots - even though they
are cheaper and lighter than stainless steel.  They still make them use the
stainless steel...

I'm just keep'in it real for the brother-man and the sista-woman....

Mouse
www.trailjournals.com/joeniemiec

ps- I also have some new for you about soy/brussel sprouts too - if you eat
a ton of it - back off! if you want to know more let me know...