[pct-l] Amateur Radio on the PCT -- Part 1

I have discovered that two other radio amateurs are planning a PCT thru-hike
in 2006.  Are there any more?

Part 1 of this series treats trail-based Amateur Radio using a VHF/UHF
handitalkie.  Part 2 will deal with HF (short-wave) Amateur Radio, mostly
using Morse Code.  Part 2 won?t come for at least a month, since it awaits a
new technical development.

On my NOBO 2006 thru-hike I will be carrying an Amateur Radio handitalkie.
Including four extra lithium AA cells and a spare antenna, the whole system
weighs 410 g or 14.5 ounces.  Its transmitter produces up to 5 watts output
and it covers the 2 m band (144-148 MHz) and the 70 cm band (438-450 MHz).
The Kenwood TH-D7A(G) also will receive other frequencies, including the
NOAA weather forecasts.  The handitalkie uses narrowband FM for voice
operation as well as transmitting and receiving 1200 or 9600 baud digital
signals.  Since low-power VHF and UHF communication is essentially a
line-of-sight affair, there are numerous Amateur Radio relay stations, or
repeaters, which are used to extend the range well beyond the horizon.  On
the more remote parts of the PCT, I assume that I will be out of range of
any of these repeaters, but over the course of the trek, I certainly will be
able to access many of them.  I suppose the most important information I
will be asking other radio amateurs will be short-term weather forecasts
when I?m out of range of NOAA transmissions.  Amateur Radio operation
requires a license.  For more information see:

<http://www.arrl.org/hamradio.html>

My handitalkie, in addition to the standard narrowband FM voice mode, is
especially designed for the Automatic Packet/Position Reporting System
(APRS®), a communications protocol which was developed by Bob Bruninga, a
faculty member at the U.S. Naval Academy.  An Amateur Radio station using
APRS can telemeter its current position and speed and altitude and heading
if it is coupled to a GPS receiver.  In practice, I won't connect them
directly; I?ll just occasionally enter my geographical coordinates into the
radio manually and transmit my current position and some additional
information, such as my NOBO PCT mile.  Once transmitted and relayed by a
terrestrial or satellite station, that information will appear on the
internet.  For an example, see the current APRS data from W1AW, the
headquarters station of the American Radio Relay League, the National
Association for Amateur Radio:

http://www.findu.com/cgi-bin/find.cgi?call=W1AW&radar=***&terra=4&topo=2

Be sure to scroll down so you can see the street map, the weather radar
chart, the aerial photograph and the topographical map.

APRS operation with my handitalkie also allows me to send text messages.  I
can send a message of up to 45 characters to another APRS station.  In
addition, I can send a brief e-mail, but the e-mail address is included in
that 45-character allotment, so the longer the e-mail address, the shorter
the message must be.  Here?s how that?s done with a fictitious e-mail
address, in a situation where a planned Post Office stop in Seiad Valley
would delay hiking too long because of a long weekend:

TO: EMAIL
sis@homey.us SendWA/ORguideToAshlandDoodad

APRS relay stations are not as readily available as FM repeaters.  On the
PCT, therefore, I will be using Amateur Radio satellites frequently to relay
my APRS transmissions.  Two such satellites were built by midshipmen
(undergraduates) at the US Naval Academy under the supervision of Bob
Bruninga.  One of those (PCSat2) is attached to an arm of the International
Space Station.  There are currently eight fully-operational Amateur Radio
satellites in orbit, three of US origin, one multi-national, and one each
from Saudi Arabia, Israel, India and Japan.  For more information on Amateur
Radio satellites, check out:

http://www.amsat.org/amsat-new/index.php

If you are already a radio amateur or would like to become one, please
contact me off-list.

Doodad
PCT NOBO 2006