[pct-l] ANWR drilling - BLOCKED!

from the AP wire:
Senate Blocks Alaska Refuge Drilling
AP - 48 minutes ago
"WASHINGTON - The Senate blocked an attempt to open an Alaska wildlife
refuge to oil drilling Wednesday, foiling an attempt by drilling backers to
force the measure through Congress as part of a must-have defense spending
bill. It was a stinging defeat for Sen. Ted Stevens, R-Alaska, one of the
Senate's most powerful members, who had given senators a choice to support
the Alaska drilling measure, or risk the political fallout of voting against
money for American troops and for victims of Hurricane Katrina. "

---------------------------

FINALLY - politicians with enough guts to strand up and be counted rather
than give in to this last minute blackmail attempt by Senator Ted Stevens of
Alaska. Vote against drilling in the ANWR and take heat for voting against
money our brave troops and the poor souls in New Orleans. Maybe he was just
too darn arrogant about the way he did it.

Why the legislature - and the people - continue to allow this rediculous
practice of tacking little ammendments having nothing to do with the main
issue onto another bill is beyond me.

Sic Temper Tyrannus

Wandering Bob