[pct-l] Pocketmail

In a message dated 12/19/2005 7:08:33 PM Eastern Standard Time,
detour74@yahoo.com writes:

> what are the differences between the composer and the pocketmail PM 32? I'm
> looking to get one for my thru hike,but don't know if I want to shell out
> $99 for a composer.

There's a used Sharp TM20, which has same features as the Composer, with a
starting bid of $9.99 and $6.00 in shipping on Ebay.

http://tinyurl.com/bncno

http://cgi.ebay.com/Sharp-TM-20-Pocketmail-Email-Device-PDA-Travelers_W0QQitemZ5843042603QQcategoryZ38331QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

One problem I had with the same is the screen went half bad, thankfully after
my hike.  The one in the auction looks to be working fine.  They really do
work well for email when you're hiking or don't have access to a computer.
You'll find some phones, most notably  some payphones work better than others, but
motel and bar phones seemed to work fine.

The other drawback I found was each email is limited to something like 5000
words and then your message would be cut-off.

I'd like to get mine fixed but it probably wouldn't be worth it.  Surprising
after 5 idle years and old batteries it still contains emails and addys from
my hike in 2000.  Too bad I can't quite read them!

Sly