[pct-l] ULA Helix Ice Axe

New to this group but have been climbing for many years.  Carbon fiber shafts have been used in technical ice climbing for quite some time.  Weight of the axe is important for a good swing, like a framing hammer.  One does not swing the axe during self-arrest.  I would not be concerned about the shaft.

  Now the aluminum head, that might be a concern.  But for hiking the PCT, I think it would be just fine.

Bob Bankhead <wandering_bob@comcast.net> wrote:
  I'm no dedicated climber either, but I've been trained in mountaineering
with the Ptarmigans mountaineering club here in Vancouver WA and have had
some limited glacier travel experience on Mount Hood and high-angle snow on
other Cascade routes. If you simply fall on your axe, depending on your body
weight to dig (push) in the point - which you would likely do for most
snowfield falls - then I would agree with you regarding the weight
differences.

If you are on hard frozen snow or ice, you are taught to swing the axe at
the surface with a chopping motion to set the point of the axe, then drop
your weight across it to help secure it and keep the tip from bouncing out
again. For the un-initiated, this is not an overhead swing, and the time
between the swing and your body landing is well under a second.

All this assumes that immediately prior to your fall, you've been traveling
with your ice axe held across your body in both hands and can manage to get
the point of the axe to hit the surface at about 90 degrees for maximum
penetration. Greg Hummel makes another excellent point in his glissading
example reply.

Most UL ice axes are probably quite suitable for the type of conditions most
PCT through-hikers are likely to encounter in a normal year, at least north
of Tuolumne Meadows. It's the strength of the carbon fiber handle that makes
me leery, especially when it gets cold. There are titanium ice axes
available at 13 oz or less, but they are cost-prohibitive overkill for the
casual through-hiker. Similar to bear canisters, before investing, ask
yourself how many times in your life are you going to be somewhere that
could reasonably be expected to require an ice axe. Then make your choice;
buy, rent, or take a chance.

Bob