[pct-l] ULA Helix Ice Axe

Jerry Goller wrote:

> I can see how a heavier ice axe would do a better job of penetrating ice or
> hard snow when swinging it.

Here's an outside-the-box thought (by a non-climber, non-ice-axe-owner):

If you take a very lightweight axe and find you need to chop steps with it, why
not grab a couple of palm-sized rocks and duct tape them to the head at the time
you need to chop the steps--toss 'em when you've gotten to the top of the pass.

I just went out into my yard and grabbed a couple of fairly small, flatish rocks
and weighed them--total was about 8 oz. Seems like that'd make a noticeable
difference.

Beats carrying a heavier axe a couple of hundred miles.

--Steve