From: pct-l-bounces@mailman.backcountry.net
[mailto:pct-l-bounces@mailman.backcountry.net] On Behalf Of Bob Bankhead
Sent: Thursday, December 15, 2005 10:28 AM
To: askurka@comcast.net; pct-l@mailman.backcountry.net
Subject: Re: [pct-l] ULA Helix Ice Axe

For an excellent overview of ice axes, both ultralite and otherwise, see
http://www.promountainsports.com/ice-axes.shtml  I would be interested to
see what the rating is for the ULA Helix. I'm very skeptical about the
relieability of carbon fiber in this application. Here's the URL for the
Helix: http://www.ula-equipment.com/helix.htm (carbon fiber shaft, aluminum
head and tip).

One excellent point made in their discussion: "Keep in mind that aluminum
headed axes may not have the weight to penetrate hard snow or ice." Having
taken a few glacier falls (hard ice), I was very happy to have had my good
technical-rated 32 oz Charlet Moser axe with me instead of my lighter weight
basic-rated Grivel Mount Blanc. It was over-kill on that particular glacier,
but if you only get one chance to arrest a fall, you want an axe that will
do the job, not bounce off.

IMO, the most important point made was "...take into account your level of
experience and the type of terrain you intend to climb." The finest ice axe
- or crampons - in the world are worse than useless in the hands of someone
who doesn't know how to use it. Reading about it won't do the trick.
PRACTICE, PRACTICE, PRACTICE. Your response has to be instinctive and
immediate; there's no time to think about it. Oh, and don't forget your ice
axe leash; these things are easy to drop and they slide out of sight down
the ice or snowfield in a flash.

Wandering Bob