[pct-l] Tai Chi & the PCT

Hi Switchback

In 2003, I hiked with a guy named Lugnut. He had a
distinctive high stepping gait which he described as
the adaptation of his Tai Chi training to hiking. We
practiced this on and off but it did not seem to
matter to my hike at the time.

One month into my 2004 hike I injured my left knee.
Stretching and various elastic knee support things
helped somewhat but it was not until I began to ?walk
from the center? that I developed the confidence of
being able to finish the hike.

Never achieved walking from the center as I understand
his description of it, but with much practice, learned
how to walk from the hips and shoulders outward. Also
became aware of the many joint motions involved in
hiking. I had been walking from the balls and ankles
of the feet and from the wrists and sort of dragging
the rest of my body forward.

Walking from the hips and shoulders outward allowed a
better adaptation to changing ground shape, lengthened
my stride, added more power through my arms into the
trekking poles and most importantly I learned to pivot
off of a nearly straight leg. I had been pivoting off
of a bent knee. That meant that all of my body weight
was constantly being shock absorbed by the knees. This
technique reduced the existing knee pain so much that
I was able to get rid of the elastic knee brace and
stop using Tiger Balm. As a side note, the elastic
knee brace was making my knee muscles weaker.

I did not examine anyone else?s hiking as related to
knee problems but there is never a shortage of knee
problems and now I wonder how much of that can be
eliminated by becoming more conscious of the mechanics
of walking. No doubt a study of Tai Chi will help
develop better hiking techniques. I will be interested
to learn more.

Chance