[pct-l] RE: Gravity

Aloha,

No. such places are for real.

A car in neutral will roll uphill if it is located in
the right spot near a gravity anomoly.  These
anomolies have to do with large areas of either high
or low mass.  It is not a violation of the laws of
physics, it is the laws of physics creating an unusual
situation because of nonstandard mass distribution.
If anyone really wants to know about this stuff take a
crap load of geophysics, cus some formuals from 1st
year college physics isn't enough to really get it.

I actually measured gravity during a geophysics lab.
At the bottom of a steep cliff, the gravity was
actually less because of the large mass of the
mountain pulling up.  Similarly, if you are directly
above a large area of low density (salt dome or
something), then gravity will be less.  If you are
above a very dense body, gravity will be higher.

Someone said something about density not having to do
with gravity.  remember that density is the amount of
material per unit volume.  If you have two spheres of
the same mass but different volumes, the gravitational
field at the surface of the dense sphere will be
greater than the gravitational field at the surface of
the less dense sphere, since the distance to the
center of the mass is shorter.

yeah gravity!!!

-----------junaid

http://math.ucr.edu/home/baez/physics/General/roll-uphill.html