[pct-l] Plan your own SAR

Andrew's and Donna's messages about SAR dispatch are right on. I think I
found a way to make this easier on my hike for all parties concerned.

Here's how I chose to plan for emergency response. At each rendevoux, I gave
my wife (Spirit) my expected arrival date at the next rendevoux, and in
addition a different "call SAR at this date and time" which was usually 24
hours, sometimes 48 hours later.

It only mattered once on my PCT thru-hike. In Glacier Peak, I was held back
by weather and my four day estimate went out to five. Then I was held at the
Nepeequa River waiting for high water to receed for half a day. Then I was
turned back from High Pass by a white out, costing me another day. Net
result, I could continually project when my arrival date would be, and when
my wife would dispatch SAR, which in this case was the end of day six. When
it was clear that I could not reach the rendevouz in time (but didn't need
any help, since I had rationed food), I searched for a way to get a message
out to my wife. Checking with various hunters, I heard about a tree clearing
operation not far off the trail, and headed towards them. I found a ranger,
and send word to both the forest service and my wife to NOT send help. In
fact, it turns out that my wife was notifiying the ranger station at exactly
the same moment that my message was forwarded to them, so she also got to
hear I was okay.

Ironically, there was another hiker in the same section also delayed the
same amount. His mom had called in to report him delayed. But he didn't have
as specific of a timetable set up, so given the bad weather the ranger
station had decided to wait to see if he walked in on his own, which he did.
Still this had resulted in some activity --all the local hotels and
restaurants in Stehekin recognized him by name when he arrived!

The moral is this. A hiker can take complete responsibility for determining
when SAR is called, but establishing very specific date and time deadlines
in advance. Then the folks back home have no emotional dilema of whether to
call or not. Likewise, this is far more convincing to SAR dispatchers ("he
has hiked over 2000 miles and never missed a scheduled check-in, and is now
48 hours past due").  By keeping the responsibility with the hiker, the
hiker can also turn off any unnecessary response (as I had to), even if it
means detouring out. This prevents the waste of SAR resources, any increase
in reluctance for them to respond to the next call from a hiker, and any
embarrasment from a hiker over an unneeded rescue.

And, yep, Spirit is still making those lucious peanut butter cookies.

Steady Sr.