[pct-l] Reporting Lost Hiker?

On Oct 22, 2005, at 7:21 PM, Andrew Witham wrote:
> As I posted earlier - if you believe that someone is lost and
> potentially in
> a life threatening situation - call 911.

Would this work if you weren't calling from the relevant area?  For
example,
I checked in with my parents in Virginia whenever I got to town.  If I
didn't check in and they called 911 in Virginia, would that be at all
helpful for getting law enforcement involved in northern Washington?
I would think you would be better off looking up the police phone number
in some town/city nearer to the last-known location.

Do the the 911 centers coordinate with each other.  Anyone know?