[pct-l] Dehydrating Food

One thing I would mention here is that mashing everything up makes for efficient
packing and rehydration (and I do a lot of mashing myself), but it *kills* the
variety of texture that many (most? all?) people eventually miss after a while
on the trail.

  Professional chefs give a lot of thought to how food feels in the mouth and
I've found that variety of texture (crunchy, chewey, rough, smooth, etc.) is
important to me on longer hikes--an unexpected finding. I suspect what many
hikers miss by the time they get to town is a change in texture of the food as
much as the calories and nutrients.