[pct-l] Re: Rodent Proof Container

On Saturday, Oct 15th, Switchback wrote:

I was thinking of using a 6 ounce Ursack for non bear food protection
hiking.  A lot of my trips are places where a bear in counter is small or
nonexistent.  I do not want to carry my Solo bear canister at almost 2  pounds, but I
still want some good protection.  I would just tie off the  Ursack up in a tree.

I notice the Ursack folks are out of inventory and you cannot get one until
later this year.

Anyone have an opinion on using a Ursack for non bear protection?   Thanks.

Switchback I can't believe I'm about to give you a helpful hint, usually it's the other way around, but here goes.  You could buy a clean, new, unused, one gallon paint can at a paint or hardware store.  They have tight fitting lids, are lightweight and are good for up to racoon size.  Remove the wire handle and paint the outside to prevent rust.

John Coyle