[pct-l] Re: Rodent Proof Container

One way to deal with the small opening, on the ursack or any other hung or CB bag is to poke a hole in a plastic lid and slip it down the cinch string and cover the hole. A lid from and big yogurt tub, salsa, sour cream, etc, will do. That way, the lid kind of hovers above the sack and little critters climbing down your line can't climb around it to get to the bag/sack.

john coyle <coyle875@msn.com> wrote:On Saturday, Oct 15th, Switchback wrote:

I was thinking of using a 6 ounce Ursack for non bear food protection
hiking. A lot of my trips are places where a bear in counter is small or
nonexistent. I do not want to carry my Solo bear canister at almost 2 pounds, but I
still want some good protection. I would just tie off the Ursack up in a tree.

I notice the Ursack folks are out of inventory and you cannot get one until
later this year.

Anyone have an opinion on using a Ursack for non bear protection? Thanks.

Switchback I can't believe I'm about to give you a helpful hint, usually it's the other way around, but here goes. You could buy a clean, new, unused, one gallon paint can at a paint or hardware store. They have tight fitting lids, are lightweight and are good for up to racoon size. Remove the wire handle and paint the outside to prevent rust.

John Coyle

Jennifer Head

Ph.D. Candidate
Oregon Institute of Marine Biology