[pct-l] Re: Harriet and Love Barge

Very exciting to hear about thru-hikers finishing after such a difficult start.  Does anyone else out there think this was one of the more difficult years, if not the most difficult year to attempt a thru hike???
Another question.  Does anyone out there know of a good podiatrist in the Portland, Or. area who understands long distance hiker foot problems?  I hiked two months this summer and have had more issues this year than any other. I tried doing lower mileage (12-15s) and that helps some, but how do you do a thru hkie on such low mileage?? I experienced numbness and throbbing pain that kept me awake at night on the trail.  I use super-feet orthotics.  I tried light weight boots one month, then  trail runners the next.  My pack weight without food was 23 pounds.   After 6 weeks away from the trail, I still wake up with swollen feet and if I go for a day hike, I pay a price for over 10 miles.  I am 49 so maybe it just comes with age, but I see all those 60+ folks still going strong.  Any advice?From sue.kettles at comcast.net  Tue Oct 11 12:08:40 2005
From: sue.kettles at comcast.net (sue.kettles@comcast.net)
Date: Tue Oct 11 13:11:44 2005
Subject: [pct-l] (no subject)

Anyone out there know of a good podiatrist in the Portland, Or. area who is good with long distance hiker problems?  During my two months on the trail, I experienced such foot pain and swelling it was hard to continue.  It would keep me awake at night - is that normal and just part of the hikers way of life?  I've been out for 3 weeks before and no pain like this.

I carry a 23 pound base weight, use super feet orthotics, tried light weight boots as well as trail runners.  I'm 49 so maybe its age related, but I see all those 60+ folks still going strong and wonder is there something else I can do to make the walk enjoyable again.  After 6 weeks home, I still wake up with swollen feet.  Any suggestions?From chrisdonlee at hotmail.com  Tue Oct 11 12:23:21 2005