[pct-l] Re: Harriet and Love Barge

Sue,

Is it possible that it's not your feet, but a circulatory system problem?  How are you hydrating yourself -- with electrolyte replacements (sports drinks), or plain water?  Increased sodium intake can make you retain water.  Do you elevate your feet at night?  Do your hands also swell?  I'm asking all of this because swelling is not the common complaint of hikers (within my purview); it's usually blisters or structural stresses.  The swelling could be something systemic.

Here's what www.WebMD.com said:

"Heat edema (swelling)

It is not uncommon for your feet or hands to become swollen when you sit or stand for a long time in a hot environment (heat edema). Heat causes the blood vessels to expand (dilate), so body fluid moves into the hands or legs by gravity. The balance of salt in the body is also a risk factor for heat edema. If salt loss is less than normal, the increased salt level draws fluid into the hands and legs.

Older adults have an increased risk of heat edema, especially if they have other medical conditions that affect their circulation.

People visiting hot climates from colder climates may also have an increased risk of heat edema."

Also, from WebMD:

"Most minor toe, foot, or ankle problems go away on their own. Home treatment is usually all that is needed to relieve your pain, swelling, and stiffness.

If you have swelling, be sure to remove all rings, anklets, or any other jewelry that goes around your leg or ankle. It will be more difficult to remove your jewelry if swelling increases, which in turn can cause other serious problems, such as nerve compression or restricted blood flow.
Use rest, ice, compression, and elevation (RICE) for pain and swelling.
Stop, change, or take a break from any activities that cause your symptoms.
Avoid "running through the pain," which may increase damage to your foot.
Consider changing your exercise routine if you think running or another high-impact sport is causing your foot pain. Switch temporarily to a low-impact exercise activity, such as cross-country skiing, stair-climbing machines, bicycling (regular or stationary), rowing, or swimming.
Use sensible sports training techniques, such as wearing the right shoes and stretching before activities.
Gently massage your feet to reduce discomfort, relax your feet, and promote circulation.
Wear comfortable and supportive shoes and socks. See tips on good footwear to learn how to choose the right shoes for you.
Consider using an orthotic shoe device, such as an arch support, to help relieve your foot pain.
Try heel-cord exercises to increase your strength and flexibility if your heel or heel cord (Achilles tendon) is tight and painful. This may help relieve your heel pain."

Hope this all helps . . .

L-Rod