[pct-l] Re: Super Secrets - Hiking Pace

Camp Ruffian:

This has to be a result of your epiphany that you practically killed yourself trying to outdo AsABat and Traildad hiking in to the gathering!!!  Good advice; hope you take it next time.  Guess I just don't understand that "male" thing.

Can'tquit

Hiker97@aol.com wrote:
HIKING PACE: Be very careful about setting a reasonable hiking pace.  There are two big challenges with hiking pace.  One is setting off too fast in the beginning of a hike or hiking day.  You are excited about starting out and you go too fast.  Throttle back.

The other challenge is trying to keep up with others.  Do not do this.  Set your pace and stick to it -- there is a big thing among men to test each other's hiking pace -- male ego thing.  Measure your energy across the hiking day.  Try to finish at about the same pace you started at.  I heard someone say that you should walk just a little slower than you know you could go.  That sounds reasonable.

Of course, I am speaking about my style of hiking, which is to start at sunrise and finish about 2 hours before sunset (if your partner is faster, then they can stop 3-hours before sunset).  I like to hike all day at a regular pace.  Just cruise down the trail and the miles will
take care of themselves.  I have some lower leg problems, so I currently walk very slow, but steady.

If you hike with others, it might be a good idea to agree to a loose confederation on the trail.  You do not have to hike together, but will camp at the same spot each night. This should be planned for the slowest member to reach camp with time to relax, cook, and enjoy the campsite too.  Make sure everyone has a good map and understands the day's route.  Hiking alone, but in a camping group is very nice.

If you get into camp early, you check things out, so you can brief everyone as they come in as to good tent spots, views, other campers, and water availability. You are today's host.

Your hiking buddy, Switchback
 Trail Tramp, Camp Ruffian, and Gear Hoodlum