[pct-l] Super Secrets - Hiking Pace

HIKING PACE: Be very careful about setting a reasonable hiking pace.   There
are two big challenges with hiking pace.  One is setting off too fast  in the
beginning of a hike or hiking day.  You are excited about starting  out and
you go too fast.  Throttle back.

The other challenge is trying to keep up with others.  Do not do  this.  Set
your pace and stick to it -- there is a big thing among men to  test each
other's hiking pace -- male ego thing.  Measure your energy  across the hiking
day.  Try to finish at about the same pace you started  at.  I heard someone say
that you should walk just a little slower than you  know you could go.  That
sounds reasonable.

Of course, I am speaking about my style of hiking, which is to start at
sunrise and finish about 2 hours before sunset (if your partner is faster, then
they can stop 3-hours before sunset).  I like to hike all day at a regular
pace.  Just cruise down the trail and the miles will
take care of themselves.  I have some lower leg problems, so I  currently
walk very slow, but steady.

If you hike with others, it might be a good idea to agree to a loose
confederation on the trail.  You do not have to hike together, but will  camp at the
same spot each night. This should be planned for the slowest  member to reach
camp with time to relax, cook, and enjoy the campsite too.   Make sure
everyone has a good map and understands the day's route.  Hiking  alone, but in a
camping group is very nice.

If you get into camp early, you check things out, so you can brief everyone
as they come in as to good tent spots, views, other campers, and water
availability. You are today's host.

Your hiking buddy, Switchback
 Trail Tramp, Camp Ruffian, and Gear  Hoodlum