[pct-l] OR/WA NFS Maps

For you map-freaks [as myself]: I recently came across one of the old National Forest Service PCT maps at a Portland [OR] REI.  Checked around and found that the NFS office in Pendelton OR still has some - if not all - of these:  three for Oregon, two for Washington @ $2 each postpaid.  They are folding type maps similar to those used on the AT [or a common roadmap] and weigh about 1 oz each.   They are topo, and the scale is 1 mile = 1 inch.   Some additional info is given: campgrounds, historical points of interest, etc..  They are pretty old [1980s] and the trail and additional info has changed in some places no doubt, but the terrain hasn't - they could be updated using the new guidebooks and/or Ken Roberts' PCT CDs [http://www.morethanamile.com] if one wants to carry them along as a supplement to the guide books [or - at that price - use them to start campfires]. Check out: http://www.fs.fed.us/r6/uma/maps/maps.shtml . The Pendelton NFS office [which will mail them] is manned by friendly and helpful Joyce, who can give you availability.
Tim S. in Albuquerque USAFrom tahoe.cat at verizon.net  Wed Oct  5 14:30:11 2005
From: tahoe.cat at verizon.net (Bill & Cathy)
Date: Wed Oct  5 15:27:45 2005
Subject: [pct-l] Willow Springs

Hi All  Sorry that this is a week late. We got back from what was suppose to
be a two week trip and it ended up to be six days. My Grandson and I started
at the 15 fwy. on the east side. We went under the fwy a lot of water
flowing there. The growth of the brush is about 10' high. markers are down
and the trail needs work. We crossed the tracks and hit the detour sign.
This was a bit confusing, it never says when to go back up into the hills,
we just happened to see a sign way up on the side of the road leading up
into the hills, then we went the wrong way and saw why the trail had been
detoured. We got to "Trail Ratz" water cache, there was 7 gallons there and
2 rats, real ones, in the box. The register was full of water and the book
was soaked. I wiped out the box with my towel and put the book back on top
of two sticks in case of more water and closed the lid. Very dry haul up to
3N31 where there was one gallon of water in a mess of empty containers. I'm
not real sure of the elevation but at about 7000' there is a large tree
across the trail. A little ways past the fallen tree there was a posted fire
site. A little farther on the trail is gone, the last rail did a number on
it. At about 7500' another tree and we had to get on our hands and knees to
go under. Through Blue Ridge camp there is another tree across the trail but
it is not a bad one.Went up BP and Lamel spring was flowing very nice.
Should be all year. Went to top of BP then on to little Jimmy Spring,
excellent water for a Horizontal well, 1/3 pipe flowing. Stayed at LJCamp
and hung our food. NO Bears but watch out for those "PINE CONES" They fall
hard "Ouch". another small spring about a half mile from LJC, Rattle snake
spring and creek flowing heavy. stayed at Cooper Canyon, that creek flowing
good, also. Did not hang food no Bears and no Pine Cones. When we got to
Three points on hwy2 we talked to a couple of Forest rangers and they told
us that we should cut our trip short because of fires. They did not actually
tell us to get off the trail but we went down to NewCombs Ranch on Hwy2, Its
a Restaurant about 1.9 miles down from three points.We got there at about
3pm and had to wait to get picked up by my wife at midnight. They had good
food good beer and a good pool table. Very Nice people there.  We did
Approx. 60 miles. The trail through the San Gabe's is "Hell" when carrying
55+ lbs. I need to learn   "Lite Weight"   That's it for now     Remember
"Be Prepared"  Ground Pounder Bill    "Semper Fi"
"PS    God Bless All Of YOU"