[pct-l] Scariest Sound

Sounds like a Bigfoot story!  Too bad Squatch is on the trail now, he'd be all over this one!

yogi
www.pcthandbook.com

DAVCATDAV@aol.com wrote:
Actually...I do have a scary story...and any suggestions would be
appreciated...

About 13 years ago I took my family to the a site at in the Mount Hood
National Forest...now let me set the mood a bit...a body had been found a few days
previously at the Brietenbush Hot Springs. This is very popular site out of
Portland, Oregon..a lot of stoners... a lot of juicers getting mighty
drunk...if you're looking for trouble in a national forest near Portland...this is
where you go...

but we were going to a site several miles from Brietenbush...the Skoomchuk
trail head. But..a body..had been found...that made me pause a bit...

when we got there my first impression was...this place needs a porta
potty...there were little pieces of toilet paper all over..little flowers of shit
encrusted white paper...not a pretty picture...but it was getting dark...and my
boy, at the time, all of 3 years old...well, pitch the tent and appreciate
the slightly marred beauty of the place.

So... tent was pitched...and the most important people in my life...gathered
their sleeping bags about them and went to sleep.

Skookumchuk = ( in Salishan...an American Indian language...) Chuck = a
place...Skookum = evil...Skookumchuk = a place of evil.

I sleep nude...sleep came accompanied by the occasional odd dream...the
occasional buzzing of a mosquito...there was even an owl looking for a mate...all
seemed well..and then...

Boom , boom ,boom...what the hell?

Boom. boom, boom...not terribly loud, but enough to wake me up...but not
loud enough to get me out of my sleeping bag...

and then boom, boom, boom...again...I got up...flashlight in hand...naked
against the universe...what was that sound? But I saw nothing...

Imagination? But it was so loud...it seemed to originate against the cliff
walls maybe 100 yards away,,,but I couldn't see anything that would cause
such a noise...

oh well, what the hell...back into my sleeping bag...

Boom. boom, boom...soft...like a bass drum through cotton...and again... me
being naked...flahlight in hand...what could it be? But it's stopped...back
into my sleeeping bag...maybe just a wierd dream...

Back into the sleeping bag...and then again...boom..boom..boom. And
again...me...flashlight in hand...looking..and looking...wondering if this was some
sort of candid camera thing...me..walking naked in the woods, good for a lot
of laughs......looking to find the source of a mysterious...and slightly
frightening...sound....

Boom...boom...boom...again. I figured...at this point..what ever it
was...there was nothing I could do about it...and while the
sounds...occasionally...would occcur again. I went to sleep...

Skookumchuck = place of evil...haven't been there since and don't plan to go
back...we all lived through the night...but what was that sound...?