[pct-l] Timberline to Cascade info/updates

Just finished this bit of trail and thought it was worth posting a bit of
info in the unlikely event that any hikers behind us check the PCT from
sisters library.

1) Timberline lodge. Traditionally viewed as an expensive place, not for
thru-hikers. We found the contrary.  The bunkrooms are $90 for the first 2
people, $25 per person thereafter. If there's 4 of you that means $35/head -
pretty reasonable considering you get:
a) FREE laundry
b) FREE internet
c) Use of the amazing swimming pool, where you can float looking up at Mt
Hood, looming above you. (also jacuzzi, sauna, etc.)
d) To be first in line for the $12, AYCE breakfast buffet (also open to
non-guests).
It is a beautiful place, and well worth an extended Nero. I'd recommend
booking over the phone - the Internet booking engine reports full when
there's still availability.

2) Eagle creek to Cascade locks. The guidebook and PCT handbook both got a
bit confusing here - I guess the layout at the trailhead has changed.
Where the trail hits the parking lot, you have to walk .3 mile down the
paved parking lot access road, to your right. we could not find a gorge
trail leaving from the parking lot here despite what the guides suggested.
You then pass the gorge trail on your left going over a bridge- you do NOT
want this one. Carry on, bear right where the road forks and pass the day
use shelter on your right.  Get to a T-junction and head across the road and
left slightly; there's a big sign for the gorge trail with the last item
being 'Pacific Crest Trail 2.5mi'.  Take this, and where it forks with an
ambiguous sign pointing to the middle of the fork, go left, down, and follow
to the bike path.

3) In Cascade locks, the Best Western will give a 10% discount to PCT
hikers, making it $71 rather than $79. Free AYCE continental breakfast.

Finally, we're at the Washington border and its just started raining!

Cheers,
Dave

Winks & nudges are here - download MSN Messenger 7.0 today!
http://messenger.msn.co.uk