[pct-l] health/travel insurance while hiking

Aaron,

I have had a variety of trailnames from my AT hikes.  In 1998 I
primarily went by "Ultralite", and in 2001 I was "Cheers!"  Nothing
ever seemed to fit quite right, so I generally go by my given name or
"T."

The definition of "mountain climbing" (if excluded) should be
researched by your agent.  Since I live in a town with a bunch of rock
climbers and mountaineers (Boulder, CO), my agent had previously
addressed the issue.

>From my limited experiene as a ski patroller, I have found that a
flight-for-life adventure can run $10,000 - $25,000 depending on the
circumstances if not directly covered by medical insurance.  Coverage
was limited to $10,000 on most policies.  I would guess the insurance
company rather is 1/3 to 1/2 of the full fare.

Colorado now has a "COSAR Permit" (Colorado Search & Rescue) that
covers the costs that might be billed by the sheriff and rescue crews
(not including ambulance/flight-for-life).  The cost is ~$3/yr or ~$10
for 5 yrs.  I don't know if the PCT states have a similar program.

cheers,
terry