[pct-l] Big Foot Hunt

from a friend:

Some years ago my father-in-law, Pinky Mathews, was manager of the Scott
Valley Bank in Happy Camp. It was in a double-wide mobile home. He told
me how the locals would periodically have a ?Big Foot? sighting when
business as slow. Some of the best Happy Camp story-tellers would put
out the sighting story and the community would be inundated with
professors, journalists, tourists, hunters, scientists, writers,
anthropologists and just plain tourists. Before putting out the story
the local merchants would order extra supplies for the restaurants,
bars, motels, gas stations, etc. Now, there?s almost no community as the
eco-freaks have shut down the only source of employment, logging and
milling. There is only one restaurant and bar, a card-lock gas pump, one
grocery store, and one motel. But this movie maker has found a way to
milk more out of the fantasy than Happy Camp ever did.

If anyone ever stopped to think about it, we?ve found bones, scat, dens,
hides, and artifacts of just about every species that has ever existed
on earth, from dinosaurs to Neanderthals to last year?s kills. But no
one has ever found anything even possibly related to ?Big Foot.?

Expedition casts wide Net for Bigfoot

By Alex Breitler, Record Searchlight
August 11, 2005

HAPPY CAMP -- Tom Biscardi is on the hunt for Bigfoot, and you're
invited to join him.

For a fee, that is.

The controversial Sasquatch sleuth has embarked on yet another
expedition, this time in western Siskiyou County where a flurry of
sightings has been reported in recent weeks.

This time, Biscardi is broadcasting his search on the Internet, saying
he hopes to bring viewers around the world a genuine Bigfoot encounter
-- like the one he claimed to have had near Burney earlier this year.

Happy Camp has mixed feelings about this Bigfoot business. Some boldly
back Biscardi while others skewer him for inviting ridicule into their
community.

"There's the old-timers that are saying, Yeah, there's something up
here,'" said Vickie Schmalzbach, who owns JavaBobs Bigfoot Deli with her
husband, Bob. "And then there's the group that says, Oh, brother.' "

Three cameras are documenting the 90-day expedition around the clock.
The cost to viewers is $14.95 for a se-ven-day pass and $59.95 for all
90 days.

Biscardi, a former show producer from Las Vegas, said he's been
exploring the woods since Saturday. Braving triple-digit temperatures
and swarms of mosquitoes, he's been busy clearing brush, positioning
cameras and riding ATVs along what he believes to be a Bigfoot migration
route.

He said he thinks two creatures living in the area are responsible for
recent sightings, at least two of which involved motorists on Highway 96.

"We're very, very close," Biscardi said last week. "This is one of the
hottest areas I've ever seen in my life."

Besides footage from his jaunts through the woods, the video feeds also
feature locals sharing breathless accounts of Bigfoot encounters,
re-enactments of those sightings and interviews with primate experts,
Biscardi said.

Why charge the viewing public? Biscardi pegs the cost of the expedition
at about $400,000 so far. He said he needs the money to pay his
16-member crew and to purchase the equipment needed to hunt the beast
and broadcast the adventure.

"This stuff didn't cost 20 cents," he said.

Biscardi, 57, has made ambitious plans to track and even capture Bigfoot
in the past, including the use of net grenade launchers or even "sleep
bombs" that would be dropped on the creature from the air.

This time he has a "secret weapon" that he won't discuss.

He will say that his broadcast has more than 40,000 subscribers, some
from as far away as Ireland, Russia and Poland. Many likely found out
about Biscardi's mission during recent coast-to-coast radio broadcasts.

He has already gained some notoriety for claims that he's spotted
Bigfoot five times in more than three decades of searching.

Back in Happy Camp, some residents say their town shouldn't embrace the
expedition, arguing it promotes the region for the wrong reasons. On
Tuesday, a television news crew from the San Francisco Bay area toured
the area with Biscardi.

"Those in town supporting this idea that Bigfoot exists are doing it
simply to make money," wrote John Goodwin in a recent letter to the
online Happy Camp News. "Guess what? Happy Camp looks ridiculous as a
result."

Even some Bigfoot believers say Biscardi is a big faker.

"It's the phoniest thing I've ever heard of in my life," said longtime
Bigfoot enthusiast John Green.

Green, who lives in British Columbia, won't be subscribing to the
pay-per-view service.

"It's just a scam," he said Tuesday. "I don't think he (Biscardi) is
even interested in looking for Bigfoot."

Green's skepticism is rooted in the fact that Biscardi has ties to Ivan
Marx, a Burney hunting guide who claimed to catch Bigfoot on film in
1970. The film was later deemed a hoax.

But Bob Schmalzbach -- whose deli offers "sandwiches that can satisfy
Sasquatch" -- says Biscardi seems to be on the level. Heck, the
56-year-old Schmalzbach has joined in the search.

His deli serves as headquarters and has become a clearinghouse of
Bigfoot info, offering a place for residents to share their sightings in
secrecy.

Happy Camp, population 1,100, hosts a Bigfoot Jamboree each Labor Day.
"We have statues of Bigfoot," Schmalzbach said. "Everything's Bigfoot
this, Bigfoot that."

But Schmalzbach guesses many residents who've seen the mythical monster
don't want to come forward.

Biscardi said he hopes to add to Happy Camp's legacy. Folks can sign up
for the Bigfoot broadcasts on his Web site.

Buyers, beware. The fine print offers this unusual disclaimer:

"This subscription does not guarantee that you will personally witness a
Bigfoot encounter."

On the Net: For more information about Tom Biscardi and his pay-per-view
Bigfoot operation, visit www.findingbigfoot.com.

Reporter Alex Breitler can be reached at 225-8344 or at
abreitler@redding.com.