[pct-l] Re: pct-l Digest, Vol 28, Issue 3, back problems

Hi Steph,
  Having experienced back problems from time to time,
I feel I am in a position of being able to assure you
that all is not lost. I know that when you find
yourself in bed, unable to move without pain, you
begin to wonder...  But I am now 64 and I have had
fewer back episodes in the last couple of years than I
did 10 years ago when I had the first ones.
  Anyway, besides the importance of "crunches," you
can do the yoga "mad cat" (while kneeling on hand and
knees round your back, then flatten it) and also the
stretch: while on your back, bend your knees, bring
them to your chest and then rock back and forth.
Needless to say, ease into these exercises and breathe
normally while doing them. Do not continue any
exercise that causes pain.
  I also see a chiropractor about every 6-8 weeks and
find his gentle adjustments keep me straightened out.
  When I am in "healing mode" from a back episode, I
find the black supportive belts that workmen use are
helpful, but they should not become a crutch.
  Once back on the trail: when you put your backpack
on, don't just bend over and lift the pack off the
ground with your back straight. Some easier methods:
bend your knees and  slide the pack up to your knee
and then get it around your shoulders, or pull your
bag onto a higher surface (a boulder, etc) and then
slip into it, or have someone else help you put your
pack on.
  And finally, keep your packweight down.
Happy trails,
Susan Alcorn