[pct-l] boredom leads to a calorie study

Good afternoon, Ben,

Some people say this takes about a month on the trail, but I can't predict
yet where it will be for me because it will depend upon how my training
program evolves.  If I stick to the plan I should have a pretty good number
of miles in the bank, meaning I will have transitioned to a much higher rate
of fat burning.  The uncertainty is the amount of body fat I will have
available at the start.  Heavy endurance training equals a high rate of fat
burning, but it also is likely to deplete body fat reserves.

A skinny, fit, hiker with the metabolism of a red-hot wood stove may be
looking hungrily at local lizards before passing the Anza Borrego, while an
average off-the-street thru-hike aspirant will start off pitiful at burning
fat, but have onboard reserves that would be the envy of a supertanker.
Those people, if they stick with the trail, may extend the period out until
they participate in the Seiad Pancake Challenge.

If you are sufficiently bored to delve this deep into Calorieometry you
probably have studied at the feet of my favorite expert in the field, Brenda
L. Braaten,  Ph.D., R.D. at
http://www.thru-hiker.com/articles.asp?subcat=12&cid=39

I re-read Ms. Braaten's excellent papers before preparing food for any
significant hike.  She has done an masterful job of dumbing-down the
technology to the point where even I can understand it, not a typical trait
among science Ph.Ds who seldom see the need to employ three small, simple
words when seven large, unpronounceable ones will so almost as well.

Steel-Eye