[pct-l] Re:back injury, therapy

My back experience, not an MD, through some 42 years of athletic endeavors, I
am 58:

1. Our back muscles are generally neglected, and suffer from weakness.( also
our stomach muscles) Pain results, including the "radiating icepick " type,
when the complex nerves of the back sense instability and vulnerability to the
spine, and involuntarily force the back muscles into spasms. This is part of
the self-protect mechanism.
2. Rest after this trauma is necessary and good. The back can sense
instability, again, and wants to rest on firm surfaces, i.e., the floor, the ground,
not soft mattresses or soft, big chairs. Accommodate it.
3. Ice at first, gradually warmth, then heat. Cautious message can be
effective, but not a substitute for eventual strengthening, stretching, and lifestyle
modification.
4. A good therapist can recommend and monitor exercises, including stretching.
5. Do not ignore the psychosomatic nature of back health: it is an indicator
of tension and worry, especially financial worry.
6. Ultimately, good walking, long distance, using good form, equipment, and
relaxation technique, can provide excellent back strengthening, stretching, and
injury prevention, all-in-one.

Have patience, almost 80% of athletes have back problems at one time or
another.

Dusy