[pct-l] when to help - angeling

I never really understood (or perhaps believed!) Donna
when she would always tell me that she and Jeff get more
out of hosting hikers than we hikers do.  Although they
seemed genuinely interested in our journeys and lending
a helping hand, I couldn't FATHOM how they could possibly
be more rewarded by the angeling experience than the
hikers are.  As I relaxed at Hiker Heaven . . . clean
with clean clothes, . . . full of food, soda, and beer
. . . talking with other hikers about the first 450 miles
and what to expect in the Mojave & Sierra . . . knowing
that I was, in a sense, "home" . . . I simply couldn't
believe that Jeff and Donna benefited more from the
situation than I as a hiker did.

That all changed when I had the opportunity to do a bit
of angeling myself.  My angeling was minor compared to
others:  I drove 4 hikers from San Diego to the Kickoff
in April.  Then, while driving around the CDT these past
few weeks, I ran into a few hikers and gave a few rides
and handed out some cold Cokes.  I was actually a bit
disappointed I couldn't do more!  I ran into two hikers
in Leadore ID (population 90) and offered  to do ANYTHING
for them.  "Here I am!  I have a car!  What do you need?"
But all they needed were the cold cokes.  Like me when I
got to Leadore in 2004, all they wanted to do was lay in
a motel room out of the wind!

So now that I've had the opportunity to be on the other
end of angeling, I finally believe what Donna always said
from day 1.

yogi
www.pcthandbook.com

dsaufley@sprynet.com wrote: I am so moved by your words that I'm sitting here at my desk at work, tears rolling down my face (thankfully my co-workers know me well). The love, my dear friend, is definitely mutual.

It is an honor and a privilege to be a part of your journey, to be of help in some way. We are filled with admiration and awe of the intrepid adventurers who set out on this incredible pilgrimage of body, mind, and spirit. To know that thoughts of those, like us, who serve are closely held in the hearts of those we seek to support is a reward greater than gold.

I have never experienced anything like this community, ever seen or heard of as many miracles of human kindness as happen on this trail. It is overwhelmingly good. From this simple concept of a trail comes countless shining lights of how much people care, sacrifice, and give. Here is found the finest examples of humanity. As one woman wrote in the register, "it's the antidote for the evening news."

L-Rod