[pct-l] Reorganized Super Secret #41 - Protection Against Heat and Radiation

I decided to combined some of the Super Secrets into one item.  Sorry  for
the long post, but I feel this will save someone's life out there on the  trail.
 This is for informational purposes only.  You are responsible  for your
safety and well being.

#41 - Protection Against Heat and Radiation
Hot weather has caused  significantly more deaths in the U.S. over the last
10 years than cold, floods,  tornadoes, or any other natural phenomenon (Parade
Magazine, July 2005).   About 75% of the U.S. population are chronically
dehydrated and 37% mistake  thirst for hunger.  We are walking water bags, since
80% of our body is  made up of water.  It must be protected or you can die.
Skin cancer  is not a good deal either.
--- Hyponatremia is "water intoxication".   You have drunk too much water and
unbalanced you body salt content.  It can  lead to death just like
dehydration can.  People die each year from  hyponatremia.
--- Hyperthermia is "hot body".  People over 50 years old  are very
vulnerable.  It is overheating of the body.  It cannot cool  down.
--- Cramps are painful spasms commonly in the legs, but can be in the
abdomen and arms too.
--- Heat fatigue is where you feel faint, skin is cool  and moist, your pulse
is weak.
--- Heat syncope happens when you dizzy, pale,  sweaty and your heart rate is
rapid.
--- Heat exhaustion is when you are  thirsty, nauseated, and not
well-coordinated.  Must rehydrate with water,  salt, and minerals.
--- Heat Stroke is when you are in real trouble.   The body temperature is
above 103, skin is dry, pulse is rapid, mentally  impaired.  On your way to a
coma and death.  Call 9-1-1 and loosen  clothing, wrap in wet towels, and apply
ice packs.  Slowly rehydrate with  cool water, salt, and minerals.
Here are some Switchback recommendations to  save your life or at least keep
you a lot more comfortable on the  trail.
1.  Timing Your Hydration: As you know, once you sense that you  are thirsty,
it is too late.  You are already are dehydrated.  Carry a  simple Sunbeam
electronic timer (2.0 ounces) from the Walmart kitchen  section.  Cut off the
little magnet and stand and put it in a shirt pocket  so you can hear the alarm
every 30 minutes for a refreshing drink.  THIS IS  AN EXTREMELY USEFUL
TECHNIQUE TO KEEP YOU HYDRATED ON A REGULAR BASIS.  I  drink a minimum of 4 ounces of
water every 30 minutes.  I can go 6.5 miles  safely in heat on 2 liters of
water with my other protection below.  If you  have more water with you or a
resupply is available, drink more!  Sports  drinks and clear fruit drinks are good
too.
2.  Check the color of your  urine periodically.  If it is getting too
yellow, you are getting  dehydrated.  It should be a light yellow color.
3.  Eat something a  little salty with your water break to keep your salt up
in your body.  I  eat a half or whole peanut butter cracker every 30 minutes
with my water  break.
4.  During the night in the tent drink at least one liter of  water to
rehydrate from the day's activities.  You might have to get up for  a potty break
during the night, but it is much more important that you  rehydrate. Or you can
use a pee bottle in the tent.  YOU SHOULD NOT WAKE UP  IN THE MORNING WITH
COTTON MOUTH.
5.  Wear especially designed  anti-radiation clothing.  I use SPF 30 clothing
from SunPrecautions; hat  with drape, super ventilated shirt and pants, and
hand mittens to protect the  back of my hands as I use my walking poles.
6.  Umbrella such as the  GoLight Chrome Dome with Switchback's World Famous
Hands Free Umbrella  Holder.
7.  A sunscreen for your face, such as REI Sun Block 30  (REI.com).  It has
the good stuff; aloe, vitamins, and cocoa  butter.
8.  Cool Blast (by Misty Mate) mist sprayer to give yourself a  cool blast of
water on your face and neck.  This is a simple water carrier  with a pump.
You can modified it to sling over your shoulder and carry on the  side or put it
on your belly pack. You give it several pumps and then turn the  hose valve
on and you have a super fine mist of water covering your face and  neck.  It is
unbelievable how cool this will make you feel on a hot day  either in the
desert or going across a snow field in summer. Under 2 pounds with  sling and
almost full of water.  If you use potable water in it, then it is  drinking water
backup.
9.  Another idea is to use "E-Tabs", which  are electrolyte tablets you can
buy at your local health food store.   Currently I am using Electrolyte Stamina
tablets from Wild Oats.  I only  use one or two as needed each day on the hot
trail.  I like this a lot  better than just salt tablets.
10.  Keep most of your heavy water weight  off your back!  Use a fanny pack
in reverse.  Now you have a belly  pack.  Get some Velcro straps at the
hardware store and some REI (REI.com)  1-liter Sip Sacks.  Just place the sacks on
your waist belt (get the widest  waist belt possible and backup with some pieces
of close cell foam).  Now  you have along with your other easy to get to
supplies, some water.  I use  2 with 2 Platypus Hiker pouches to hold 4 store
bought water bottles (24 ounces  each or 710 ml).  A little heavy if you use the
waist belt for a maximum of  5-liters of water, but at least it is not on my
poor back and spine.  Don't  forget to use Walmart auto section seat belt pads
for extra belt comfort and for  your shoulder pads too.
11.  Use a calibrated pedometer for giving you  your mileage or other
indicators as you walk. This might be VERY USEFUL as you  walk to the next water
source or trail town.  I am using the GoWalking  Talking Pedometer (1.25 ounces).
Be sure to test it out on your local  mountain training trail to get the
stride distance right.  Mine shows 5.9  mountain trail miles on a 6.1 mile trail.
Not bad.
12.  Walk in  the cool early morning and late afternoon.  Also, do not forget
about night  walking.  With a full moon this can be a lot of fun.
13.  Use a high quality sun glasses to protect your eyes from UV  radiation.
14.  And last, but not least, keep your gear weight  LIGHT.  Do not over
strain your good old body.

Again, sorry for the long post.  Your hiking buddy,  Switchback