[pct-l] Reno to Alpine Meadow; bear can?

Alpine Meadows Ski area and Squaw Valley Ski area are separate areas. The
turnoffs (from Hwy 89) are several miles apart.

  On guidebook map K6, you see what I believe is the Apline Meadows Ski area
parking lot road with a trail leading to the PCT.

On guidebook map K7 you see one of the Squaw Valley ski lifts and a trail to the
PCT. Further north on K7 you see another trail leading from the Squaw Valley
area to the PCT.

Can't tell you which trail to take, just that the two places are indeed separate
places. Squaw Valley is a little more developed, Alpine Meadows might be a mile
or two closer to the PCT.

Don't know what the regs are regarding bear cans in that area; I seem to recall
  reports (from last year) of folks having bear encounters in the Desolation
Wilderness.

--Steve