[pct-l] Cheese

Good evening, Vic,

I agree with the comments about the relative durability of individually
wrapped string cheese, and I use it often if I depart a trailhead, or buy
food near a trailhead, but I do not mail it ahead in a resupply box.
Considering 5-10 days in transit, a wait at the PO, then several days on the
trail may be asking too much of it.

I've not found bulk powdered cheddar cheese at Portland area stores so I
purchase it by the sealed can at:  http://waltonfeed.com/  According to my
notes, the #2.5 can of cheddar contains 13 oz. of powder for $8.40, and one
ounce is 0.25 cup, which is usually one serving for me.
They also sell it in the #10 can, which is one gallon, if you are
provisioning for a thru-hike.  The cheese blend (not necessarily all
cheddar) was $6.50 for 16 oz.
I like Mac 'n Cheese on the trail like everyone else, but I buy much smaller
pasta than the elbows sold in the regular box.  The fine pasta is the same
semolina, but it cooks more quickly.  Couse Couse is good, and really fast
cooking.  I top the whole thing with a handful of the crunchy bacon-flavored
TVP.

They have lots of various TVP fake meats, but I really only like the bacon
flavor, similar to bacon bits.  The TVP beef burger was pretty wretched, a
lot like dry dog food.  I really like their vegetable stew blend, which is
just a mixture of medium-fine dehydrated mixed vegetables, nothing else.  A
half-cup of that mix in a kettle of ramen makes all the difference in the
world.  I also have some of their dehydrated tomato powder, but I haven't
developed any meals around it yet.  It will probably be good, but it is pure
tomato and will need lots of spices, etc.

I've tried Waldon's dehydrated butter, and it's OK, but kind of bland.  I
prefer to use the cheese anywhere I am tempted to use butter.

Enjoy...

Steel-Eye