[pct-l] San Diego Reader PCT Story

The URL that John supplied is for an April 15, 1999
article by Jerry Shad about the PCT north of the road
to Indian Flats.

    The article that Heather wrote about talked about
the PCT temporary route that was being used in 1984.
At that time one had to hike the old California Riding
and Hiking Trail from Chariot Canyon down across the
San Felipe Valley and up S-2 to S-22. Then it followed
old ranch roads to Warner springs. The current trail
gets one up on the crest, but is about 20 miles longer
and is a lot further between springs and streams. But
in 1984 there were no trail angles setting up water
caches. So it was about the same distances between
actual water supplies.

    In that article I was quoted as saying that it
would have been much nicer if the trail could have
gone over Volcan Mountain. Now that much of that land
has been bought for county parks may be it is time to
look at ways of relocating the trail over that
mountain and nearer to Julian.

    It should also be noted that at that time there
was no PCTA with a Pete Fish repairing the PCT. We
have come a long way since 1984.

         Rob

John Mertes Tortoise73 at charter.net wrote:

>Here's the url for the article:
http://www.sdreader.com/php/roamshow.php?id=19990415

John

Heath Haggerty II wrote:
> If you live in San Diego county and are a PCT nut
then
> you should pick up the new "Reader". It has a great
> article about the PCT that was originally published
in
> the weekly back in December of 1984. To read the
> author's perception of the trail and his tone about
> the whole idea of the PCT in that time period is
very