[pct-l] Sierras / Hi from Nabor J.

As Donna pointed out in response to my previous post, there is public
transportation up 395 to Reno. However, you requested the "easiest" method and I
am not sure it qualifies as the "easiest" way to get up 395. Nevertheless,
here's the info I could find:

The County of Inyo Transit organization runs buses up and down Hwy 395.
You can call the Inyo Mono Transit dispatcher at 800 922 1930 for times, and
their  website is
http://www.countyofinyo.org/transit/transit.htm

The bus you want is the  C.R.E.S.T. bus.

The closest bus stop to KM (and it ain't that close), is Coso Junction (I
think--not sure exactly where the road from KM hits 395), but the bus only stops
there "by request" (which I presume means you call and tell the dispatcher you
want it to stop there). According to the website, this bus runs M, W, and
Friday. Northbound buses stop, by request only, at Coso Junction Rest Stop at
2:10 pm and, also by request only, in Olancha (the Ranch House Restaurant)
slightly farther north at 2:30 pm. I didn't try to work out the fare details but
it's about $10 to get to Bishop. It arrives in Bishop too late to catch the bus
to Reno, so you'll spend the night in Bishop.

(Not all bad--there is pizza, Denny's, some decent motels with washers/dryers, etc.)

Then on Tuesdays, Thursdays, and Fridays you can take a bus from Bishop to Reno.
  It leaves Bishop at 7:00am and costs $28.  Gets you into Reno (the airport) at
11:45.

As far as I know, getting from KM to Coso Junction or Olancha is a hitch.
Also, people have said that "hitching up 395 is easy in the summer" but I have
no first hand experience with it.

There is also an Enterprise Car Rental outlet in Bishop. I seem to recall some
enterprising person using their "we'll pick you up" service to get them to bring
a car (it was a truck, IIRC) all the way to KM! You might get them to do a
one-way rental to Reno. Their phone number (in Bishop) is 760 873 3704. They're
closed on Sunday, and on Saturday open from 9-12. The rest of the week it's 8-6.

Hope this crazy-quilt of info is of some use....(Sobo JTMers take note: this is
the way you get back to Yosemite from Lone Pine. Take the bus towards Reno but
get off in Lee Vining and then hitch West on 120. But check the schedule after
Labor Day--things have a way of changing in those small towns...)

--Steve