[pct-l] re:crampons in August

I too had a bit of a chuckle at the idea of needing crampons on the high
JMT passes in August, since we do these passes every summer in late July
and August, with llamas, and without crampons or ice axe.  The llamas
are quite adept at doing cross-country detours to dodge the snow and
cornices that we find occasionally at that time of year.  And if you
really don't like the look of a pass, look for horse tracks.  The pack
string riders have their own routes over the passes that dodge the snow
and the dangerous spots.  Many a time we have followed their tracks over
a pass, avoiding all the snow and risk.  Sometimes these alternate
routes have signs, but more often they don't.
llamalady