[pct-l] Lost trail?

On Jun 6, 2005, at 12:22 AM, Bill & Cathy wrote:
> We cut our trip short because we could not find the trail once we
> get to the Mojave river dam. If it is marked we could not find it.
> we went over the dam and around to 173. We could see the trail from
> where we were after we were about a 2 miles away in the wrong
> direction.

This seems to be a common problem for PCT hikers.  The trick is to
realize that you need
to cross Deep Creek a little before it flows under the dam.  If you
drop down towards
the creek at the spillway you can follow the trail below the dam
for a while before crossing Deep Creek.  Once on the other side of
Deep Creek the
trail continues in a direction that is roughly parallel to the dam
and on the
south side of the Mojave River.  The trail hugs the hillside and
eventually curves
south, away from the water and towards 173.

Here is a link to a topo of the area:
http://www.topozone.com/map.asp?
z=11&n=3800102.00008649&e=478215.999999999&datum=nad83

In this topo you cross Deep Creek between the words "Forks" and
"Reservior".

I saw one PCT journal this year that made fun of the dam without any
water. I did
the same thing last year but after the heavy rains this winter it all
makes sense.

Gary Wright (Radar)