[pct-l] Water Caches?????????

As a potential, future wannabe thru-hiker who has, so far, hiked mostly
north of Crater Lake and dealt mostly with too much water rather than too
little, I am confused about this water cache deal.

I understand fully why an earthbound angel would maintain one.  A fellow
human being, due to injury or unpreparedness or whatever, might find
themselves in need of this emergency water supply.  The cache might give
comfort to the suffering or even save a life.  This is among the highest of
human callings and I salute all of you who provide this service.  What I
can't figure out is why the water in the caches is so heavily used. Do we
have large numbers of sick, injured and/or unprepared hikers wandering
around out there in the desert?  If not, why is such a volume of water
needed?

Personally, I plan to do everything I can to avoid being sick,  injured or
unprepared.  Confronted with a 30 mile stretch between known reliable water
sources, I will dutifully shoulder a pack weighed down with at least 8
liters of water.  Should I happen upon a cache half way through the stretch
and half way through my water supply, what do I do with the cached water.?
I can imagine sitting in the shade and having a nice long drink.  Maybe, if
there's lots of water, wetting my bandana and wiping off my face and neck.
But I am not about to fill my empty water bottles and carry an extra 8 lbs
of apparently unnecessary water to the next known water source.  If all goes
well, I want to arrive there empty and light.

I recently did a very short solo overnight trip in Joshua Tree.  I knew
there would be no water source and I had little experience with desert
hiking, so I loaded up with 8 liters, partly to be safe and partly for the
experience of hiking with so much water in my pack.  On the morning of the
second day, with the trailhead destination near at hand and almost literally
in view across the open desert, I dumped 2 1/2 liters of the three I still
carried, leaving only enough to make coffee at the trailhead while I awaited
my ride home.  What would I have done if I'd encountered a cache on this
hike?  Walked on by.

Can anybody explain to me why so many seem to be using so much cached water?

Wayne Krafrt