[pct-l] First time thru hike

Don't let being a little 'green' to the backpacking community bother
you.  We were about as green
 as they came when we thru hiked last year.  Our PCT hike was our first
ever more than 3 day trip
 into the unknown.  Our packs were heavier than most, we carried more
water than most (we didn't
 rely on water caches because we read not to) but we managed to get from
Mexico to Canada just
 the same.  We did shed gear along the way and ultimately learned what
our individual water needs
 were which helped lower our pack weight but we honestly feel that a
good mental attitude was
 more important.  If you think you can't do it, then you won't.  If you
have an adventurous spirit and
 are eager to see what's around the next corner or over the next hill
and are willing to do what you
 need to do in order to get it done, then (barring injury or illness)
there's no reason you can't make
 it.

 That's not to say you won't get blisters, because you will. Or that
you'll never be dehydrated or
 hungry, because you will. Or that you'll never consider just packing it
all in and going home, because you will. But you'll deal with those
challenges as they come up.  Keep a positive attitude
 and stay focused on the smaller picture as you go.  Your ultimate goal
is to hike from Mexico to
 Canada but break it up into smaller goals as you hike; town to town,
camp to camp, water source
 to water source.  They all add up and soon enough you'll see that big
swath cut through the trees
 near the northern terminus. (Don't forget to sign the register inside
the silver monument 78 when
 you get there.)  Endeavor to persevere! That was our motto. =o)

Good Luck and Happy Hiking!
Start Slow & Taper Off