[pct-l] Let's pull it together people...

I must spend more time in meetings than actually getting work done (no
cracks about all the posts I write, please...).
Most the time in meetings is spent strategizing about how to get work
done! It's a sick irony.
Steve Courtway knows what I'm talking about...

Anyway.

I'm glad we're seeing an intelligent discussion about the real issue
that started this thread: The impact of a large wave of people on our
trail.

Just a couple observations from me:

Section A is a wide, well beaten trail that very often can be walked
side-by-side with another hiker. It's as wide as a dirt road in many
places between Campo and Morena. As the trail gains miles, the trail
becomes more of a trail and you can go miles without seeing roads and
houses. To me, THAT'S more of a wilderness experience. The wide portions
are a direct result of the larger numbers of hikers, immigrants, horses,
mountain bikes, etc. that have easier access to the southern portions of
the trail. As the number of thru-hikers is more at the beginning and
significantly less at the end, it only stands to reason that the only
adjustments we, as the PCT community, can make is to send less
thru-hikers through at any one period of time. We may not be able to
control the total number of hikers passing any portion of trail within a
single hiking season, but we CAN try to reduce the stampede effect and
allow at least a little time for the natural forces to heal the trail as
much as it can.

Morena Res has the special quality of being one day's walk from the
border. A thru-hikers first day's walk. The first day of a 4-6 month
long walk. It can accommodate ADZ. It's the place ADZ has always been.
There's a lot to be said for tradition...
After a thru-hiker's first day's walk, to drop into the park and be
greeted by fellow class members and a throng of supporters. To maybe
make that final mile at sunset and to hear the music of Weathercarrot's
DVD (Last year it was the 70's soundtrack of the `77 slide show- Jethro
Tull wafting through the fog...), and a hot meal and a beer handed to
you as you drop pack. That's magic...

Even if ADZ was moved somewhere further north, the number of thru-hikers
planning their start date with an ADZ arrival a significant factor in
their planning, would still mean a wave of people starting out at the
same time. Unless, of course, ADZ was moved up a month or two's hike
north, then we'd see a natural thinning. But I don't think that's what
the majority wants to see happen.

So if a thru hiker is as far north as Agua Dulce in late April, or
points south, an organized shuttling effort would allow them to attend
and participate in ADZ. And the added benefit of giving info on what
they've encountered to those who are just starting out.

Are there any other ways to lessen the size of the wave/pulse/tsunami?

Michael Saenz, Associate Partner
McLarand    Vasquez    Emsiek   &   Partners,   Inc.
A r c h i t e c t u r e  |  P l a n n i n g  |  I n t e r i o r s
MVE       MVE    Institutional       MVP    International
w  w  w   .   m  v  e   -   a  r  c  h  i  t  e  c  t  s   .   c  o m